Monday, January 25, 2010

The switch

I'm going to try and switch my blog over from xanga to here. I think this site is more accessible and easier to work with. Hopefully this will work...going to try and copy all the html and paste it here...it's over a year's worth of archives.

9/22/08
Been a music freak my entire life. I've been listening to and collecting music since I was about 5 years old. I remember my parents buying me 78's and 45's (3 Little Fish, always a classic). Most of my memories of growing up in the late 60's and 70's (NYC) revolve around music. Be it a theme song from a tv show, or something that I'd heard on the radio (which was basically the only way to hear new music and when I was a young kid it was WABC-AM) or saw on The Midnight Special, or Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. I can't imagine having a resource like the internet when I was young. To be able to immediately search for any genre, song or artist is incredible. I remember the small independent record stores that I'd scour looking for musical gold. Whether it was a bootleg of a favorite band, or an import cd not available in the US, I'd spend hours flipping through the record or cd bins at places like J&R in NY, Aron's in LA, Penguin Feather in Maryland, Reckless in Chicago, and of course Tower. Now all you have to do is click a button and you can find anything (almost).

I'll give this a shot - I'm basically going to write about what I'm listening to currently, or maybe a show I've recently seen. It'll cover a highly selective mix of just about all kinds of popular music, except rap and country music....as I don't really have a deep knowledge of country music history, and I stopped listening to rap in about 1990.

No comments:

Post a Comment